Four alleged kidnappers arrested after shootout with soldiers
The police command in Ekiti says a joint security team, comprising the military, police, the Civil Defence, Amotekun and local hunters, have arrested four suspects in connection with a recent abduction.
The police spokesman in Ekiti, Sunday Abutu, who confirmed the arrests in a statement on Wednesday in Ado-Ekiti, said the efforts of the joint security team has started yielding positive results.
A few days ago, the five commuters were abducted along Ayedun-Ilasa-Ayebode road in the Ikole Local Government Area. A shootout ensued between soldiers and the attackers as motorists deserted the busy Ayedun-Ilasa-Ayebode road.
The command later said persistent pressure by the combined security team resulted in the release of the five commuters.
It also promised to channel resources towards apprehending the perpetrators of the dastardly act.
“The suspects arrested have since been moved to the State Police Headquarters for further interrogation and investigation while the joint operation for the rescue of the victims continues,” said the police spokesman.
Mr Abutu also stated that the command had deployed a tactical team that comprises the Rapid Response Squad, the Anti-kidnapping Squad, the Safer Highway and the SIB to engage in a joint operation with the military, the NSCDC, the Amotekun and the local hunters, following the recent abduction of eight persons at Itapaji axis of Ikole-Ekiti.
“This is with the aim of rescuing the victims and apprehending the perpetrators,” he said. “This joint operation has yielded positive result as four suspects have been arrested so far in connection with the abduction. The command implored members of the public to supply necessary and timely information to assist the police in its operations.”